One of the questions I received last month was in regards to the clear rinse I did on my hair. I mentioned briefly in this wash day update that I used the Jazzing Clear Rinse and subsequently a reader asked what its benefits were. I think it is a great question and recorded a video last week explaining the difference. I have to always remember that not all of my lovely blog followers also subscribe to my YouTube channel and vice versa; I always try to make sure I give out all pertinent information to both parties, but sometimes I miss the boat. So here are are the benefits of clear rinses:
- Revitalize your hair color (if you have semi, demi, or permanent hair color). Safe to use on top of color treated hair to give your hair a boost. Also can help prevent fading.
- Silkens your hair and therefore reduces the friction co-efficient between the strands which potentially means less damage and breakage
- Protects against harsh weather environment (extreme cold, hot or dry)
- Corrects your porosity: Temporary clear or colored rinses also contain proteins that bind to and patch up the hair shaft. This is especially helpful if your hair is over porous.
- Reduces frizz: because it binds to the hair cuticle, it seals the strand therefore reducing frizz.
- Locks in moisture: if your moisture/protein balance is on point, it is helpful to do a clear rinse after a moisturizing deep condition to lock in moisture. Again, because clear rinses seal the cuticle it helps prevent moisture from escaping.
I should mention that not only are there clear rinses, there are also glazes and cellophane treatments. I will be trying a few different brands over the next few months and plan to eventually do a comparison between them.