Several of you commented on my initial review of my current installation that you WISHED you could find an inexpensive weave stylist in your city; I realize that this is a topic that could be of benefit. There are plenty of weave installers that charge between $125-200, which I regard as the “normal” price. I’m not saying these stylists are over-charging at all; If you’ve ever put your own or someone else’s sew in weave in, then you know that they are not. Braiding takes a lot of time, especially if you are a slow braider like me so just getting the base done tightly and securely takes about 1.5 hours. Then you have to sew the hair on which normally takes another two hours or so. Some weave installation services include the wash and deep conditioning session which at minimum is a half hour, so the total service is minimally four hours. Mathematically – that is about $30-50 per hour, not a terribly lot amount of money and that’s IF a stylist finishes in or around four hours, many take longer. So I’m not saying that “cheap” stylists should exist in higher numbers…however they DO exist!
Ways to Find an Inexpensive Weave Stylist
- Craig’s List. Check your city for advertisements for inexpensive weavers. Most times if a stylist is advertising on Craig’s List, they have a special running so even if they normally charge a certain price, for customers who found them via their ad on Craig’s List the price will be much less.
- Google. This is how I found my stylist and I was so pleased with her service! I googled my city + inexpensive weave and BAM! I found her website through which I was able to read about her experience, view her work and schedule my appointment. Doesn’t get better than that!
- YouTube. Some business savvy hair professionals have YouTube channels advertising their services and some non-professionals who are self-taught weave specialists offer their installation services. Search through the various channels and ask vloggers who are in your city if they will put in your weave or at the very least have any recommendations. I know ThomasAdrianna, a very popular weave vlogger, does weaves for ladies for around $50. I’d go to her!
- Check the hood. I didn’t know how to say that any more politcally correct then I just did, so if I sound bourgeois, forgive me. But ya’ll know Bumqueisha and nem can braid some hurr! Seriously, ask in your church, your cousins, around the local HBCU campus, whatever your connection to the hood is if you don’t live in one or are not familiar with yours. Every city has a “hood” in which there are talented girls who can braid and do sew-ins for much less than what a professional would charge. Both of my nieces hae been installing weaves on themselves and other women since high school and quite honestly, if I lived at home in NJ I’d always have a flyy install for practically nothing!
Here are a few inexpensive weave stylists and/or shops in various locations nationwide to help get you started or direct you to one if you live in any of the following cities:
- Delicious Hairstyles Nashville: Signature $50 weave service performed by owner J. Nicole, add on services range between $10-20 so no sew-in will cost more than $100.
- The Weave Shop: Also known as the $50 weave shop, has locations in Michigan, Atlanta, New Jersey, Chicago, North Carolina, Texas, Florida and Oklahoma City!
- The Weave Bar: Located in the Germantown Section of Philadelphia, PA this salon has a signature $50 weave service.
- Super Weaves: Los Angeles, California, this salon is not open just yet but according to the website will be forthcoming!
- 50 Hair Weave Inc: Also in Los Angeles, this salon does not appear to have its own website however its listing does provide a phone number so you can call and see what’s up!
- Roc Weave Shop: Rochester, NY. The listing is available, however the website is either defunct or listed incorrectly. In any event, there is a stylist and phone number listed so if you are in Rochester, do the follow up work because it looks like there is a $50 weave stylist in your city.
Looking great doesn’t have to cost a fortune, even for styles you are unable to complete yourself!