You may have noticed my wash day posts have become a bit more sporadic? I haven’t been washing once per week like I am supposed to because I’ve been so busy! But last night (late late) I finally sucked it up and jumped in the shower. My hair has been feeling the best it has EVER felt in the three plus years I’ve been on my healthy hair journey. Don’t believe me? Follow me on Instagram @EbonyCPrincess; I’ve been doing hair of the day posts and if you look back at the past week or so – and even though my washes have been about every 10-12 days my hair always looks smooth, shiny and healthy. And ever since that little stint I told you about where I was slacking on moisturizing and sealing, I’ve been paying extremely close attention to my hair. Last night when I forced myself to wash my hair, I was shocked at how smooth and soft my hair still felt! And the wash day was AMAZING! So this documentation is as much for my benefit as it is for your reading pleasure…
Wash Day Steps:
- No prepoo due to time limitations
- Shampoo with Optimum Care: This shampoo contains sulfates but I wanted to try it out since Soft Sheen Carson was nice enough to send it to me. I had been holding off using it because I expected it to dry my hair out but decided last night was a good time to test it because I’d used a few products that contain cones. Therefore using sulfates for a more thorough cleaning was necessary. I’m going to do a full review of this product but let’s just say this – it contains SLS and lathered less than my Giovanni shampoos do which do not contain sulfates! My hair felt so smooth and soft after washing I thought I may have grabbed the conditioner by mistake. Seriously. But let me try it out a bit more before giving my full analysis. If the whole sulfate vs. non-sulfate discussion is confusing to you, see my post explaining shampoo types which is also in the L4L Healthy Hair Handbook.
- Deep Condition with Optimum Care Fortifying Conditioner: I rescheduled my weave installation for this upcoming Monday (I didn’t have time this week) so I wanted to strengthen my hair in preparation for the manipulation of braiding. This conditioner is nothing like the Optimum Care Deep Conditioning Masque, which is thick and creamy. This one is translucent and runny…again making me think I’d grabbed the wrong product and was putting shampoo in my hair. I sat under my electric heating cap for 15 minutes (ohhhhhh I miss steaming!) and then rinsed. Um…my hair didn’t feel as amazing. I mean it was still smooth but the soft, incredibly moisturized feeling was gone. If it hadn’t been so freakin late I would’ve followed it up with one of my new faves: Parnevo Hair Mayo, Optimum Care Deep Conditioning Masque or my ole’ faithful Kerapro! I don’t think I like this product and can’t say when the next time I’ll be trying it. Even the ingredients confuse me a bit…I wonder why they didn’t just bottle the reconstructor that is supplied in the relaxer kit, I like that product. But anyway, it was late and my hair still felt relatively good so…I just proceeded to the next step.
- Applied Aveeno Clear Glaze – I ran out of my Adore clear rinse and this product was on clearance (yet again) at my local Target so I picked it up. I really do like this one too (I reviewed four brands of clear rinses for those who missed that post). I let it sit on my hair for 2-3 minutes in the shower then rinsed.
- Airdried with nothing in my hair at all overnight.
- This morning I applied a tiny bit of Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer and sealed with coconut oil and bunned it. No special style.
Ya’ll. I’m completely amazed at how soft and smooooooth my hair feels. I really wanted to have a record of what Optimum Care products I try and when I began using them because I cannot believe how well they are working for my hair (sans the moisturizers…I can’t with those). I know I love the relaxer but I wasn’t sure what to expect from the rest of the line. Someone asked me today if I really like their products as much as I claim I do…the answer is yes. I have told you which ones I don’t like, what the ingredients are, compared my results with similar products (with photos) – I’m being honest and completely transparent with you. The ones I rave about I love – I’m partially raving because they are so great and partially because I’m pleasantly surprised! Anywhoo, Monday is the day for my sew in and I can’t wait. I’m telling you I can’t. My lord I’m ready to put this hair up and away!