Carmelita: I was looking at some of your pictures and your hair is pretty long.
Me: REALLY?! I don’t think so. It feels real…medium.
Carmelita: No…it’s long.
Me: I mean, I’m happy with my hair right now but I don’t feel like its long…yet.
Carmelita: Well, you have to remember when we met, your hair was like above your shoulders.
Me: You know what? That’s right! Thanks for reminding me of how far I’ve come!
See, Carmelita has known me at the times in my life when my hair was its absolute shortest. Between shoulder and arm pit length hair is “normal” to me, but I have had some tragic times where I had to have it cut shorter – and I absolutely hated it. So although I think of full APL hair as medium, she helped me have even more appreciation for it. Later I posed the question via the Longing 4 Length Facebook page and ya’ll had some hilarious responses!!! Some of the funniest:
- Christian says: Enough hair to just wear a thong and have my hair cover my boobs..but I have those economy size ones so I would need btl (baby toe length) hair to feel long…
- Angela says: I think BSL is long, I’ve had “long” hair most of my life, but after being on YouTube where I see these sistahs who routinely have hair to their elbows..I’m just another chick..lol
- Shahri says: Yea…I call it boob hair…enough hair to cover the boobage area - Pocahontas hair!
- Robyn of The Random Phoenix says: Right now, I feel APL would be long. But who knows, once I reach it, I may also feel medium, lol. I also LOVE the idea of “boob hair”, Blue Lagoon style!
- Shemeika says: Bsl and longer, whatever length it takes to cover the boobs.
- Sdestra of Sdestra Hair Journey says: Longer than what you had before.
I promise Christian’s answer had me both cracking up AND nodding in agreement and judging by the responses, many ladies’ goal is to have hair that covers their girls! I’ve always maintained that my final stop would be full BSL/partial MBL – long enough to be sexy, not so long that my favorite styles are tedious. However…I think a much better description would be BLH for “boob length hair”!!! LOL!
Although my final goal has remained unchanged – what I perceive as long hair has changed slightly. When I first started I considered full APL (my current length) long now I’m firmly of the belief that BSL hair is undeniably long. However – its all about perception and personally, I don’t think there is a “wrong” answer.