As promised, I recorded a video demonstrating how I care for my hair under wigs. Actually I’ve covered quite a bit of this information in various posts over the last couple of years and included it in the L4L Healthy Hair Handbook but I can appreciate that sometimes visual demonstrations help:
So in a nutshell my wig regimen is to cornrow my hair neatly, leaving them in for a month while doing the following:
- Moisturize with a spray moisturizer
- Seal with oil of your choice using a spray bottle
- Apply a heavier sealant like shea butter (whipped or straight) to the ends of your braids
- Co-Wash with a cleansing conditioner weekly
- Deep condition at least bi-weekly
- Airdry- don’t leave your hair damp all the time.
- Optional: Apply growth serum to scalp nightly. I use Bee Mine Growth Serum with Sulfur, another option is Liquid Gold Hair Growth Oil (Sulfur Based).
As I said, I recommend natural based spray moisturizers – the one I used in the video is OBI Naturals Curl Enhancing Spray. Other recommendations are Elasta QP H2 Leave-In Conditioner, Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave In, Bee Mine Juicy Spritz and Giovanni VitaPro Fusion Protective Moisture Leave-In, just to name a few.
The silk wig cap I mentioned is available from Swig Caps. I meant to do a detailed review of the product and of course now I can’t find it! It is a nice cap, but definitely not stretchy or fitted. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you feel you really need a silk wig cap because the same effect can be duplicated by placing a satin bonnet on your head and covering with a regular nylon wig cap, which will actually give a better fit. I know a lot of ladies are using wigs during the L4LPSC and just in general to help grow their hair – and because I am
This is basically all I do for my hair under my wigs, sometimes I add a prepoo with extra virgin coconut oil. Simple but very effective.
Hope you found this helpful! All the wig-nistas out there please leave any tips you have in the comments section – sharing is caring!