I have a complete series of posts that details my hair regimen for weave from pre-installation to take down tips but I thought it may be helpful to concisely list my weave regimen. In a nutshell my basic hair regimen for weave wearers is as follows:
- Moisturize 3-4 times per week with a natural ingredient based spray (details + video demo here).
- Wash bi-weekly using a diluted sulfate free shampoo in an applicator bottle (details + video demo here).
- Deep condition using diluted conditioner also applied via applicator bottle.
- Roller/rodset my leave-out to avoid using direct heat, flat iron roots if necessary (details + video demo here).
- No need to seal while wearing a weave due to the scalp’s natural sebum and lack of environmental exposure of real hair.
- Be sure to COMPLETELY dry your scalp and braids after washing, a perpetually damp scalp is a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus.
- If you are suffering with an itchy scalp, add a few drops of either tea tree or eucalyptus oils to your shampoo and/or moisturizing spray.
Maintaining your hair regimen while wearing weave is an absolute necessity, you cannot expect your hair to remain healthy if you neglect it for several weeks at a time. There is some truth to the adage of “leave it alone and it will grow” but not to the point of allowing your hair to become dry and dirty. Plus, that’s just nasty!
Below are a few product suggestions for those who may be wondering. In general I spend less on products used while my hair is hidden, but I’ve listed products of varying price points that are readily available at most local stores to make it as helpful as possible for everyone.
- Shampoos: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter, Giovanni Smooth as Silk
- Conditioners: ORS Replenishing Pak, Aussie 3 Minute Moisture
- Moisturizers: Bee Mine Juicy Spritz, African Pride Braid Spray, Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In
I hope this post is helpful to someone, if you have any questions as always drop it below in the comments and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for reading!