My little cousin, Jennifer, has been on a serious healthy hair quest for the past year – I’ll be sharing her full hair journey soon. But now that we’ve achieved our goal of healthy hair through protective styling, mainly crochet braids, I am slowly introducing her to styles with her hair out; I don’t want her to be dependent on fake hair and long-term protective styles. So, our first style is this natural hair updo which is a mix up of braids, twists and curls that I absolutely love!
Every time I do her hair, I ask her to look online (Pinterest mainly) to find a style she likes. I want her to be involved in the process of choosing a style – that is all part of teaching her to care for her own hair. She found these two styles as our inspiration:
I used these two styles to create our own that suited Jennifer’s face as well as her hair length.
To create our version of this versatile updo we:
- Shampooed and deep conditioned using my Hot Head Deep Conditioning cap
- Blow dried using the tension method
- Appled TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In Conditioner
- Sealed with Fountain Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Food
- Parted a circular section in the middle of her hair
- Cornrowed the back and sides upwards (the back of her hair is shorter so the braids will last longer than twists)
- Two strand twisted the front using TGIN Twist & Define Cream
- Pulled the back braids and twists into a high ponytail
- Spritzed the middle with water and applied TGIN Twist & Define Cream
- Rolled the middle on pink and white perm rods
- Allowed to dry overnight
- Removed the rods and separated the curls
Although this wasn’t MY wash day, I could tell partially through creating the style that I would love it and thought you may use the look for inspiration as well. Also…I can’t wait to try out the TGIN Twist and Define Cream a bit more and give a final review. So far, this product may replace almost ALL my other curl creams and gels as my absolute favorite. It’s that good!